The Silent Ranks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Silent Ranks

Forum for Military Girlfriends/Boyfriends, Fiancees, and Spouses

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Organic foods...

Go down 
+4
Bonnie
Brittney007
stepdan7
Jennifer
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Jennifer
E-4
E-4
Jennifer

First Name: : Jennifer
Branch : Army
Number of posts : 630
Registration date : 2010-02-23

Organic foods... Empty
PostSubject: Organic foods...   Organic foods... Icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2010 8:08 pm

This may be a rant, but not really.

I HATE how expensive Organic food can be. It drives me absolutely bonkers. I 100% understand why the prices are so high, but I just wish that our country hadn't gotten things to the point that they are at now... a direction that makes organic farming so hard to implement thus products that are so limited.

If I could afford it... I would eat EVERYTHING Organic. But I can't so I currently only eat the following Organics religiously: milk, eggs, lettuce, as many veggies as I can find in kroger that look decent and won't go bad in 2 days. The following Organics I buy/eat as much as possible and when money allows: dishsoaps, household cleaners, meats, fruits, peanut butter, snacks.

The biggest one that I can't eat organically (because you just can't find it here- and when you do it costs an arm and a leg) that I desperately wish that I could would be my meats (pork, beef, chicken).

Do you ladies eat anything certified organic? If it was less expensive would you eat it more?
Back to top Go down
stepdan7
W-4
W-4
stepdan7

First Name: : Stephanie
Hero's Name : DJ
Branch : The better one
Number of posts : 2739
Anniversary : 27 Jan
Registration date : 2008-01-18

Organic foods... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Organic foods...   Organic foods... Icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2010 8:26 pm

We grew organic greenbeans and ate the 25 we got, lol. I occasionally buy carrots but with the prices so high I stray away from other stuff. I buy the organic stuff at Kids R Us for the kids.
Back to top Go down
Brittney007
W-1
W-1
Brittney007

First Name: : Brittney
Number of posts : 1711
Registration date : 2010-02-20

Organic foods... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Organic foods...   Organic foods... Icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2010 8:50 pm

well my friend candice and i would go to the co op in olympia and get organice veggies and oragnic ice cream and drinks. We would buy alot of organic things. i really like the soaps cause they dont dry my skin out. Smile i love me some organic foods and stuffs. i to wish it wasnt so expensive cause it kills me.
Back to top Go down
Bonnie
E-1
E-1
Bonnie

First Name: : Bonnie
Hero's Name : Josh
Branch : Josh is now a Vet! But was AD Army for 5 years.
Number of posts : 158
Anniversary : July 24
Registration date : 2010-03-04

Organic foods... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Organic foods...   Organic foods... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 29, 2010 12:27 am

We try to eat as many organic things as we possibly can, usually the main thing we always get organic are potatoes-they are inexpensive at wal mart, baby spinach for salads. Organic products are harder to find up here for whatever reason, but I recently found a farm that has beef for less than we pay at the store that is organic, a long with several other products we are definitely looking into purchases things from this farm especially since it is local and organic.

I'll give you the website Jennifer, b/c if you buy a lot at once it would be worth the drive, you'd just have to get a cooler to take back with you. My sister used to do that all the time when she was in college.
Back to top Go down
http://peasnpod.blogspot.com/
armywife96
E-5
E-5

First Name: : D
Number of posts : 806
Registration date : 2008-02-09

Organic foods... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Organic foods...   Organic foods... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 29, 2010 12:33 am

I did milk when we were in CO but here milk is almost $4/gal for reg milk and the organic stuff is pushing $6 so there is no way.
Back to top Go down
Kinsey
E-3
E-3
Kinsey

First Name: : Kinsey
Number of posts : 569
Registration date : 2010-02-21

Organic foods... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Organic foods...   Organic foods... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 29, 2010 9:32 pm

i don't necessarily go for something just because its organic, but only because of the price. if it was cheaper i would definitely go completely organic! my boss is, but then again she has money coming out of her ears!
Back to top Go down
Addie
E-1
E-1
Addie

First Name: : Adaline
Branch : N/A
Number of posts : 199
Registration date : 2010-02-22

Organic foods... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Organic foods...   Organic foods... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 29, 2010 10:00 pm

Try and see if this would help....

I order my mom's food online.. it's not organic, but i figured if she could order food online then you may be able to.. but here's a few websites

http://www.diamondorganics.com/
http://www.localharvest.org/
Back to top Go down
Sarah
Administrator
Administrator
Sarah

First Name: : Sarah
Hero's Name : Mike
Number of posts : 3103
Registration date : 2008-01-16

Organic foods... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Organic foods...   Organic foods... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 29, 2010 10:15 pm

Its WAY too hard to find organic food here in WV. Its just not something that people fine necessary. When I live in Portland, OR everything was organic, but that was popular there. When you do find organic foods they are crazy expensive. I dont even bother with it honestly. What did people do before organic? They ate what was available.

My dad has a pork and cow farm where he raises his own meats so we get most of our meat from him. His pork and beef are as close to organic as you can get without being certified. He doesnt have masses of cows and pigs so he is able to spend extra time on the ones he does have and when it comes time to sell the pork and beef there is a waiting list. Im assuming that makes it good lol but to me beef is beef and pork is pork, i cant tell a difference
Back to top Go down
https://strong.forummotion.com
Jennifer
E-4
E-4
Jennifer

First Name: : Jennifer
Number of posts : 630
Registration date : 2010-02-23

Organic foods... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Organic foods...   Organic foods... Icon_minitimeTue Mar 30, 2010 12:13 am

Bonnie... will you PM me that website when you get the chance? I'd love to check it out! I wouldn't mind doing the drive with a cooler every once in a while.

Addie... thanks for the websites! I'll have to check em out and see if what their prices look like.
Back to top Go down
Bonnie
E-1
E-1
Bonnie

First Name: : Bonnie
Hero's Name : Josh
Branch : Josh is now a Vet! But was AD Army for 5 years.
Number of posts : 158
Anniversary : July 24
Registration date : 2010-03-04

Organic foods... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Organic foods...   Organic foods... Icon_minitimeTue Mar 30, 2010 12:49 am

I just emailed you!
Back to top Go down
http://peasnpod.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

Organic foods... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Organic foods...   Organic foods... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Organic foods...
Page 1 of 1