The Silent Ranks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Silent Ranks

Forum for Military Girlfriends/Boyfriends, Fiancees, and Spouses

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Doing the BUMP

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Smidget23
W-3
W-3
Smidget23

First Name: : .
Hero's Name : I hate men...unless they want to buy me something. Then I only dislike them.
Number of posts : 2497
Registration date : 2008-04-16

Doing the BUMP Empty
PostSubject: Doing the BUMP   Doing the BUMP Icon_minitimeSun Apr 18, 2010 2:11 pm

I've noticed that there has been a lot of unnecessary BUMPing of threads going on, and it's kinda getting annoying. I'm hoping that we can come to some sort of agreement on it. Generally on the forums that I mod and am a member of, BUMPs are welcome, but within boundaries.

1. If it's your own thread, you are more than welcome to BUMP it. However, wait at least an hour or two so that people actually have time to see it. It's one thing to try to keep your thread on the first page. It's another thing entirely to do 12 BUMPs to keep it as the very first post. If it's an urgent question and you need immediate help, put that in the title. There is more leeway given on BUMPing in hourly intervals in that situation. Posters also have to realize that just because you BUMP a thread, it doesn't mean that people will be online to reply or that they are helpful to your situation.

2. Games- They don't require a BUMP post. AT ALL. They're in their own section. If someone wants to play them, they know where to find them. A lot of them are also stickied, so that they will appear as the top posts of the Game section anyways. Being stickied is basically being permanently BUMPed. [FYI: Replying to your own posts is also discouraged. The games are to let everyone get to know each other and an easy way to up post counts. Replying to your own posts and answering your own questions within a 24 hour period is basically cheating and monopolizing the game. We all have different schedules and need to give others a chance to play.]

3. As previously stated, Announcement / Stickied threads will always be permanently BUMPed at the top of their respective sections. They don't need additional BUMPs throughout them. They aren't going anywhere unless a Mod or Admin changes their classification or removes them completely. On the other boards, the Mod in charge of the activity and any of the admins are the only ones allowed to BUMP a stickied such as a swap or partners sign up. That is usually done when the deadline is approaching.

4. Oh and I forgot about necro-BUMPing i.e. BUMPing old threads. On the other boards, it's generally discouraged unless it is your thread, it's less than a month old and you're BUMPing to update. [Updates are done in the initial post and a note is added in the title of the thread]. Otherwise, members will usually create a new post and then link to the older one for reference. In the cases where a new member revives an old thread because that situation is pertinent to them or they want to be involved, they can do a shoutout to the OP asking about the situation or offering new advice. If they have a similar situation, they can link to the dead topic and give their differences, or older members will link them to the dead thread and show them that was how the situation was resolved at that time and wish them luck.

I'm really hoping that we can come to some sort of agreement on the rampant BUMPage going on. I know on my Mommy board, if you're breaking the bumping laws, it's a warning and the posts are deleted. Eventually if someone does it enough, they can be banned, because it's seen as spamming and NO ONE appreciates a spammer. I'm hoping that this thread has brought it to the attention of the Mods/Admins that others are having issues with this as well and I hope that we can reach a consensus on it.
Back to top Go down
Smidget23
W-3
W-3
Smidget23

Hero's Name : I hate men...unless they want to buy me something. Then I only dislike them.

Doing the BUMP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doing the BUMP   Doing the BUMP Icon_minitimeSun Apr 18, 2010 9:26 pm

BUMP Wink
Back to top Go down
Brittney007
W-1
W-1
Brittney007

First Name: : Brittney
Number of posts : 1711
Registration date : 2010-02-20

Doing the BUMP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doing the BUMP   Doing the BUMP Icon_minitimeSun Apr 18, 2010 10:05 pm

i think there should be some rules in bumping...no unnessecary bumping (that sounds weird to me) lol.
Back to top Go down

Doing the BUMP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doing the BUMP   Doing the BUMP Icon_minitimeSun Apr 18, 2010 10:09 pm

The staff is talking about it currently, but just know that we do not feel anyone has gone 'bump' crazy. And we will address it with each individual if it becomes a problem.

Please keep in mind sometimes members bump their posts because they're looking for some acknowledgment. It's not cool to post looking for support and see that your post has been viewed dozens of times and only two people have responded.
Back to top Go down
Smidget23
W-3
W-3
Smidget23

Doing the BUMP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doing the BUMP   Doing the BUMP Icon_minitimeSun Apr 18, 2010 10:40 pm

Karen wrote:
The staff is talking about it currently, but just know that we do not feel anyone has gone 'bump' crazy. And we will address it with each individual if it becomes a problem.

Please keep in mind sometimes members bump their posts because they're looking for some acknowledgment. It's not cool to post looking for support and see that your post has been viewed dozens of times and only two people have responded.

Yeah, but that's a situation that is semi-addressed in the rule updates.
Quote :
While you may want explanations from a member for certain posts/threads, remember that you are NOT entitled to any explanations. The member does not have to explain themselves to you.
It's not a requirement that every member post in every thread that they view. It may be a situation where the viewer doesn't have anything constructive to add to the post, so they don't add anything. It also may be a situation that I mentioned in the OP that people haven't had enough time to really view the thread or weren't able to reply at the time that they did. If someone really needs answers, then the lack thereof is no reason for not bumping their thread. Plus it's their thread. However if the OP is just bumping for attention or to raise their post count, then that is actually against the unspoken rules against spamming.
Back to top Go down

Doing the BUMP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doing the BUMP   Doing the BUMP Icon_minitimeSun Apr 18, 2010 10:47 pm

You are not obligated to respond, but the OP is allowed to look for responses. Like I said we do not feel anyone has been out of line. There is a difference between one bump and twenty. And really this is an issue that you should have brought to the staff's attention rather than trying to solve yourself. To you what may be unnecessary may not be an issue to others.

Last edited by Karen on Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Smidget23
W-3
W-3
Smidget23

Doing the BUMP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doing the BUMP   Doing the BUMP Icon_minitimeSun Apr 18, 2010 10:48 pm

I did talk to a staff member before this.
Back to top Go down

Doing the BUMP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doing the BUMP   Doing the BUMP Icon_minitimeSun Apr 18, 2010 10:49 pm

Then you should have let us address it. There really haven't been any lines crossed, so at this point I'm going to lock this thread. It is only going to cause problems.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Doing the BUMP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doing the BUMP   Doing the BUMP Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Doing the BUMP
Page 1 of 1