The Silent Ranks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Silent Ranks

Forum for Military Girlfriends/Boyfriends, Fiancees, and Spouses

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

YOUR FEEDBACK IS APPRECIATED!!

Go down 
+12
HeatherH
Bonnie
Lia
stepdan7
Jennifer
Sarah
Beth
Tenea'
armywife96
Psykiblue
Brittney007
Trisha L
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Trisha L
Administrator
Administrator
Trisha L

First Name: : Trisha
Hero's Name : David
Branch : Army Aviation
Number of posts : 1831
Anniversary : October 2
Registration date : 2008-01-19

YOUR FEEDBACK IS APPRECIATED!! Empty
PostSubject: YOUR FEEDBACK IS APPRECIATED!!   YOUR FEEDBACK IS APPRECIATED!! Icon_minitimeSun Apr 18, 2010 6:06 pm

We would like to get your input on a few topics we have been discussing. Some we've been discussing the idea for months, others just recently.

*switching to a Paid Forum(ie Vbulletin, Invisionzone, IP.Board, etc)
-Paid forum would require some fundraising, or member fee's for certain board events just in order to make the switch!(totally voluntary)
*Recruiting Contest-rounding up some new members
*Posting Contest--lets get this board pumping!
*Weight Loss Challenge(w/a fee per member and possible a 50/50 at the end??)
*SR Memberof the Quarter, Year, etc..--giving credit where it is due

If we switch SR to a paid forum like one mentioned, you have access to different skins, User profiles which will enable you to leave visitor messages, blog, have a friends list, photo album, etc. The only hold up to that is $mula$.
so my question is what do you ladies think of that? is this something you feel we should do in the far future(8months to year) or should we just continue as we are.

how user friendly do you find the boards right now? Do you have any suggestions for a new board or revamping this one?(please note these are suggestions only)

Recruiting Contest---the more the merrier right?? Recruiting contest would just be you rallying up and gathering new members either via Myspace, Facebook, word of mouth, etc The winner, in a designated time frame, will recieve a postbit either in their siggy or under their username--that hasn't been decided.

Posting Contest--This does not include 1 liners, 1 worders, single emoticons or emoticon only replies. This is for genuine replies and New threads. same for the Posting winner as the recruiting one--a postbit in either spot.

SR of the Quarter....credit should be given when credit is due right? This would be for the Member who makes positive posts, has words of encouragements for others, is active and participates in contests, challenges, etc

**ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS, THOUGHTS OR IDEAS?? REMEMBER THIS IS NOT A DEBATE, and especially not for putting down. If any idea doesn't hit home to you, think of a way to revamp it to make it better....at any rate, please we would like your feedback

are these things you would partake in? why or why not(and don't put "because it's dumb" we want genuine answers so that we can work with them and make tweaks to the board*)

A paid forum Vs a Free forum, is more user friendly, extremely easy to navigate, lets you tell which threads have new messages, which threads you haven't replied to etc....
--Membership Fee's would be VOLUNTARY not MANDATORY and would range from 2, 5, 10, whatever your budget could afford and whenever your budget could afford. (think of it as a contribution)
---Paid Events is something that was tossed around to help(fundraiser) kick SR off into a PAID forum if that is what the majority of the members voted on(paid forum)...It does not mean all events on the board now or in the future would mean you had to pay for.

Please, skim through the other replies before making your replies, chances are your question or concern has already been addressed.
Again, this is not a Debate, so if you still need some clarification, please PM a staff member and if it something we haven't already covered , we will come and update the O.P. Thank you

Last edited by Trisha L on Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:27 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/herohandbagsnmore
Brittney007
W-1
W-1
Brittney007

First Name: : Brittney
Number of posts : 1711
Registration date : 2010-02-20

PostSubject: Re: YOUR FEEDBACK IS APPRECIATED!!   YOUR FEEDBACK IS APPRECIATED!! Icon_minitimeSun Apr 18, 2010 6:30 pm

Welli think they are all good ideas (minus the paid part)...maybe if we do choose to do SR of the quarter that it isnt the same person every qaurter. there are alot of great advice given. so i like it. im nin for whatever. Smile good ideas

Last edited by Brittney007 on Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Psykiblue
O-2
O-2

First Name: : Karla
Number of posts : 3888
Anniversary : June 24th 2006
Registration date : 2008-06-03

PostSubject: Re: YOUR FEEDBACK IS APPRECIATED!!   YOUR FEEDBACK IS APPRECIATED!! Icon_minitimeSun Apr 18, 2010 7:19 pm

I'm not sure how great switching to a paid forum would be, especially for members who would not get to participate in things - to me that's kind of exclusionary which isn't the purpose of this forum.

i like the other ideas though, about stuff we could do as a group.
Back to top Go down
armywife96
E-5
E-5

First Name: : D
Number of posts : 806
Registration date : 2008-02-09

PostSubject: Re: YOUR FEEDBACK IS APPRECIATED!!   YOUR FEEDBACK IS APPRECIATED!! Icon_minitimeSun Apr 18, 2010 7:35 pm

Im sorry I don't think I would be able to participate if it went to a paid forum. Being on a military salary and having 3 kids means we don't have much to spare, same with the pd weight loss thing. They are good ideas but just not feasible for myself. The other ideas sound good though.
Back to top Go down
Tenea'
E-4
E-4
Tenea'

First Name: : Tenea'
Hero's Name : Jesse
Branch : Ret Army
Number of posts : 679
Anniversary : 12/23/05
Registration date : 2010-02-21

PostSubject: Re: YOUR FEEDBACK IS APPRECIATED!!   YOUR FEEDBACK IS APPRECIATED!! Icon_minitimeSun Apr 18, 2010 8:17 pm

I like all the suggestions but if it went to a paid forum I don't know if I would be able to pay because we are on a tight budget as it is.
Back to top Go down
Beth
O-2
O-2
Beth

First Name: : Beth
Hero's Name : Dustin
Branch : Army
Number of posts : 3496
Anniversary : 9-17-09
Registration date : 2010-02-21

PostSubject: Re: YOUR FEEDBACK IS APPRECIATED!!   YOUR FEEDBACK IS APPRECIATED!! Icon_minitimeSun Apr 18, 2010 8:18 pm

I like all the ideas except it being a paid forum i would love for all women who want to be apart of this site to be apart of this and for some money could be a big issue for them.
Back to top Go down
Sarah
Administrator
Administrator
Sarah

First Name: : Sarah
Hero's Name : Mike
Number of posts : 3103
Registration date : 2008-01-16

PostSubject: Re: YOUR FEEDBACK IS APPRECIATED!!   YOUR FEEDBACK IS APPRECIATED!! Icon_minitimeSun Apr 18, 2010 8:45 pm

The paid forum wouldnt mean that you would pay to participate, it means that we would pay the fee and then hold fundraisers and ask for small donations when possible. If each member contributed even a couple dollars a year it would pretty much pay for itsself. If you cant pitch in it wont be a big deal, we understand but the paid forum is so much easier to navigate and use and much more fun!
Back to top Go down
https://strong.forummotion.com

PostSubject: Re: YOUR FEEDBACK IS APPRECIATED!!   YOUR FEEDBACK IS APPRECIATED!! Icon_minitimeSun Apr 18, 2010 8:50 pm

What exactly would we gain by going to a paid forum besides having a bigger personal profile and different skins? I'm curious!
Back to top Go down
Sarah
Administrator
Administrator
Sarah

PostSubject: Re: YOUR FEEDBACK IS APPRECIATED!!   YOUR FEEDBACK IS APPRECIATED!! Icon_minitimeSun Apr 18, 2010 9:04 pm

It is MUCH more user friendly. It gives more options to work with also. In general it is just much easier to use for everyone.
Back to top Go down
Jennifer
E-4
E-4
Jennifer

First Name: : Jennifer
Number of posts : 630
Registration date : 2010-02-23

PostSubject: Re: YOUR FEEDBACK IS APPRECIATED!!   YOUR FEEDBACK IS APPRECIATED!! Icon_minitimeSun Apr 18, 2010 9:37 pm

I like all of the ideas suggested and am on board with them. I like the user-friendliness of the paid boards and would be able to pitch in a few bucks every now and again to keep it up and running.
Back to top Go down
Psykiblue
O-2
O-2

PostSubject: Re: YOUR FEEDBACK IS APPRECIATED!!   YOUR FEEDBACK IS APPRECIATED!! Icon_minitimeSun Apr 18, 2010 9:41 pm

Trisha stated in her thing that members who contribute monetary to paid site will have access to certain board 'events' other members wouldn't, that to me seems really exclusionary as some of us cannot really afford to spare in our budgets.

I'm not knocking it might be more 'friendly' but right now I like what we have. As well, how would a paid site affect posting, and numbers. Would we lose everything again?
Back to top Go down
stepdan7
W-4
W-4
stepdan7

First Name: : Stephanie
Hero's Name : DJ
Branch : The better one
Number of posts : 2739
Anniversary : 27 Jan
Registration date : 2008-01-18

PostSubject: Re: YOUR FEEDBACK IS APPRECIATED!!   YOUR FEEDBACK IS APPRECIATED!! Icon_minitimeSun Apr 18, 2010 10:49 pm

I think if we go to a paid site I'd be out, even if its just doing fundraisers. Also I like the size of the forum right now. Its a nice size where we are having a chance to get to know each other. Also since we are still newly formed theres no need to revamp anything.
Back to top Go down
Sarah
Administrator
Administrator
Sarah

PostSubject: Re: YOUR FEEDBACK IS APPRECIATED!!   YOUR FEEDBACK IS APPRECIATED!! Icon_minitimeSun Apr 18, 2010 10:54 pm

With the new forum we will have the option to switch it to the original post count so you wont lose any posts or anything like that. The paid events would be offered once the board is set up and situated as options. Such as a game now and then. It wouldnt put anyone in an "exclusive" board.
Back to top Go down
Psykiblue
O-2
O-2

PostSubject: Re: YOUR FEEDBACK IS APPRECIATED!!   YOUR FEEDBACK IS APPRECIATED!! Icon_minitimeSun Apr 18, 2010 11:04 pm

By holding paid events, you are excluding members who cannot participate, and that doesn't seem like its in the spirit of sisterhood, friendship and support.
Back to top Go down
Lia
E-6
E-6
Lia

Number of posts : 1142
Registration date : 2010-02-19

PostSubject: Re: YOUR FEEDBACK IS APPRECIATED!!   YOUR FEEDBACK IS APPRECIATED!! Icon_minitimeSun Apr 18, 2010 11:10 pm

i'm with karla on the paid thing.

the rest of the ideas, i like.
Back to top Go down
Bonnie
E-1
E-1
Bonnie

First Name: : Bonnie
Hero's Name : Josh
Branch : Josh is now a Vet! But was AD Army for 5 years.
Number of posts : 158
Anniversary : July 24
Registration date : 2010-03-04

PostSubject: Re: YOUR FEEDBACK IS APPRECIATED!!   YOUR FEEDBACK IS APPRECIATED!! Icon_minitimeSun Apr 18, 2010 11:25 pm

Jennifer wrote:
I like all of the ideas suggested and am on board with them. I like the user-friendliness of the paid boards and would be able to pitch in a few bucks every now and again to keep it up and running.
This exactly Smile
Back to top Go down
http://peasnpod.blogspot.com/
Trisha L
Administrator
Administrator
Trisha L

PostSubject: Re: YOUR FEEDBACK IS APPRECIATED!!   YOUR FEEDBACK IS APPRECIATED!! Icon_minitimeMon Apr 19, 2010 8:25 am

I updated the Original Thread to include a better definition between the Paid Events and the Fundraising and Switching to a Paid forum...etc etc

Please keep in mind, this is not a set in stone, we are going to do it, just getting feedback from y'all Smile
Back to top Go down
Psykiblue
O-2
O-2

PostSubject: Re: YOUR FEEDBACK IS APPRECIATED!!   YOUR FEEDBACK IS APPRECIATED!! Icon_minitimeMon Apr 19, 2010 9:50 am

I think regardless of how you set up the paid forum thing, people will feel obligated and pressured to contribute, I'm not saying you would do this or any other admin, but the feelings might be there. For me, that goes against everything that community, and support for military spouses stands for. It is not a sisterhood of community, friendships and feelings if we pay for it.

Right now, I like the size that we are as we are all still getting to know one another, before messing with something, determine if it needs to be messed with, personally I don't feel that it does. For me, a paid site, seems cold, and goes against everything an online community should stand for.

I know you say make contributions something people can contribute only if they can, but how will it be before, people are made to feel like they have to contribute because others are, or they start feeling out of place because the community that they once knew no longer exists.
Back to top Go down
Sarah
Administrator
Administrator
Sarah

PostSubject: Re: YOUR FEEDBACK IS APPRECIATED!!   YOUR FEEDBACK IS APPRECIATED!! Icon_minitimeMon Apr 19, 2010 9:56 am

I have been a part of many different paid forums. I have never felt excluded because it is a paid forum. We are all military gfs, wives, ect. We know how much each other make and we all know that it isnt enough. Nobody cares if you can donate or participate, its a choice and you wont be judged for it. Anyways.. donations will most likely be submitted anonymously
Back to top Go down
Psykiblue
O-2
O-2

PostSubject: Re: YOUR FEEDBACK IS APPRECIATED!!   YOUR FEEDBACK IS APPRECIATED!! Icon_minitimeMon Apr 19, 2010 9:59 am

Will people who donate receive any perks? Because it would seem like they should given that they are contributing monetary wise.

I just don't think its what a military community should be about, especially one of support but that's just me.
Back to top Go down
Sarah
Administrator
Administrator
Sarah

PostSubject: Re: YOUR FEEDBACK IS APPRECIATED!!   YOUR FEEDBACK IS APPRECIATED!! Icon_minitimeMon Apr 19, 2010 10:04 am

the details havent been hashed out but as a donation, no, no perks.

As for paid events I am assuming they will work out something like this... We have a PPC- paid photo contest (wont be this exactly but lets use it) and each member that participates will contribute $5. Say there are 10 people that do this, that is $50. The winner will get a gift card for something like $30-40 and the rest will be contributed to the forums cost, that would pay for more than 2 months of the forums annual cost.
Back to top Go down
Psykiblue
O-2
O-2

PostSubject: Re: YOUR FEEDBACK IS APPRECIATED!!   YOUR FEEDBACK IS APPRECIATED!! Icon_minitimeMon Apr 19, 2010 10:07 am

and what happens if people don't participate and don't donate after the inital first donation. I think that a paid forum is a bad idea, I understand wanting neat new things, but if its not broke why mess with it?
Back to top Go down
Trisha L
Administrator
Administrator
Trisha L

PostSubject: Re: YOUR FEEDBACK IS APPRECIATED!!   YOUR FEEDBACK IS APPRECIATED!! Icon_minitimeMon Apr 19, 2010 10:11 am

Psykiblue wrote:
and what happens if people don't participate and don't donate after the inital first donation. I think that a paid forum is a bad idea, I understand wanting neat new things, but if its not broke why mess with it?

Nothing would happen at all. That is why it is voluntary. I was a member of a Paid forum for a year before I jumped the bandwagon to make donations to the site. and I did an annual donation of I think 10 or 20, but because I was able to, not because it was required of me to do so.

p.s. I bolded it and made it bigger so that any body "skimming through the replies" would catch the reply, because I think some others may have the same question as you--good point! thanks.
Back to top Go down
Trisha L
Administrator
Administrator
Trisha L

PostSubject: Re: YOUR FEEDBACK IS APPRECIATED!!   YOUR FEEDBACK IS APPRECIATED!! Icon_minitimeMon Apr 19, 2010 10:14 am

Psykiblue wrote:
Will people who donate receive any perks? Because it would seem like they should given that they are contributing monetary wise.

I just don't think its what a military community should be about, especially one of support but that's just me.

since we haven't discussed that part---I think a POST bit recognizing that they are Paid member or a Site SUpporter would be something to add on....it's still in the discussion phase, and we decided to bring it to the MEMBERs to include y'all as well in this topic.
Back to top Go down
Sarah
Administrator
Administrator
Sarah

PostSubject: Re: YOUR FEEDBACK IS APPRECIATED!!   YOUR FEEDBACK IS APPRECIATED!! Icon_minitimeMon Apr 19, 2010 10:17 am

also there wont be an "initial donation" ... the donation option will be open at all times for whenever/ if ever someone wants to donate. You are not required to donate nor should anyone feel left out since it will be private. As for the paid events.. not everyone participates in non paid events, its pretty much the same thing. Its $5, not like we are asking for hundreds every month. The forum is like $70 a year with an initial start up cost or something like that. The start up cost would be on us, we already know that but to maintain the board through the year it is nice to have donations and contributions to help out with the yearly cost.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: YOUR FEEDBACK IS APPRECIATED!!   YOUR FEEDBACK IS APPRECIATED!! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

YOUR FEEDBACK IS APPRECIATED!!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Silent Ranks :: New Members Welcome Kit :: Announcements-
Jump to: