The Silent Ranks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Silent Ranks

Forum for Military Girlfriends/Boyfriends, Fiancees, and Spouses

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

YOUR FEEDBACK IS APPRECIATED!!

Go down 
+12
HeatherH
Bonnie
Lia
stepdan7
Jennifer
Sarah
Beth
Tenea'
armywife96
Psykiblue
Brittney007
Trisha L
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Trisha L
Administrator
Administrator
Trisha L

First Name: : Trisha
Hero's Name : David
Branch : Army Aviation
Number of posts : 1831
Anniversary : October 2
Registration date : 2008-01-19

YOUR FEEDBACK IS APPRECIATED!! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: YOUR FEEDBACK IS APPRECIATED!!   YOUR FEEDBACK IS APPRECIATED!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 19, 2010 10:22 am

Sarah wrote:
also there wont be an "initial donation" ... the donation option will be open at all times for whenever/ if ever someone wants to donate. You are not required to donate nor should anyone feel left out since it will be private. As for the paid events.. not everyone participates in non paid events, its pretty much the same thing. Its $5, not like we are asking for hundreds every month. The forum is like $70 a year with an initial start up cost or something like that. The start up cost would be on us, we already know that but to maintain the board through the year it is nice to have donations and contributions to help out with the yearly cost.

I just want to add to this, that when Staff originally started discussing switching to a Forum that would require the forum owner(s) to pay to use the site, it was discussed for ADMIN &/or Admin and Mods to come together for the fee's..some of us also felt that if we were just regular members of a forum and knew the possiblities of switching to a more user friendly board, we would gladly contribute if we could, even if it was a 5 dollar donation once....so that is another reason we decided to post this discussion---Please do not feel that donations would ever be a requirement.

Again, this is not a Debate, so if you still need some clarification, please PM a staff member and if it something we haven't already covered , we will come and update the O.P. Thank you Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/herohandbagsnmore
HeatherH
Moderators
Moderators
HeatherH

First Name: : Heather
Hero's Name : Bobby
Branch : Army
Number of posts : 659
Anniversary : June 27, 2007
Registration date : 2008-01-17

PostSubject: Re: YOUR FEEDBACK IS APPRECIATED!!   YOUR FEEDBACK IS APPRECIATED!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 19, 2010 10:40 am

I will say this. I loved vbulletin, however I NEVER paid for anything on SG. I did do a few swaps and things, but that was it. Actually, I think I did two. I however didn't donate due to the fact that I didn't have money for one, and for two I refuse to use paypal.

And I will say this, when the Secret Sister, or super sister or whatever it was called that happened when they had their own board for that, I totally felt left out, people came out of that closer and more friendly towards those that participated and those that didn't were kinda left behind (just my viewpoint). And yes, was my fault as I didn't pay and wouldn't pay, but at the same time, forums are for support. Yes, we can all be friends, yes we can all be close, but should one have to pay for more closeness and support?

In sum, I get what Karla is saying as I didn't participate in the paid things, I do however, miss Vbulletin and the ease of use.

If I can donate I will, if I can't, well I can't.
Back to top Go down
jj'swifey
E-3
E-3
jj'swifey

First Name: : Darcy
Hero's Name : Jeremy
Branch : National Guard
Number of posts : 542
Anniversary : August 9, 2008
Registration date : 2010-02-22

PostSubject: Re: YOUR FEEDBACK IS APPRECIATED!!   YOUR FEEDBACK IS APPRECIATED!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 11:36 am

I like all the new ideas. I wouldnt mind to pitch in $5 bucks here or there.
Back to top Go down
Smidget23
W-3
W-3
Smidget23

First Name: : .
Hero's Name : I hate men...unless they want to buy me something. Then I only dislike them.
Number of posts : 2497
Registration date : 2008-04-16

PostSubject: Re: YOUR FEEDBACK IS APPRECIATED!!   YOUR FEEDBACK IS APPRECIATED!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 9:05 pm

So in summary: The idea is to have a paid forum, but we're not required to donate anything. In exchange we won't receive any perks. There will be events for everyone to participate in and there will be events that require a fee to participate.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought part of why the SG and SR forums were merged was because SG merged with AWF which was a paid forum?

I think if we had the people necessary, then it would be a good idea, but right now, we don't have enough regular posters to warrant the extra costs. It's just going to end up costing members more money. We're having a hard enough time gathering people to participate in this swap and all it costs is the price of the gift and postage. If we add an additional fee, then I'm not really seeing participation going up.
Back to top Go down
Samantha
E-6
E-6
Samantha

First Name: : Samantha
Hero's Name : Josh
Branch : Army
Number of posts : 1091
Anniversary : December 15, 2007
Registration date : 2010-02-20

PostSubject: Re: YOUR FEEDBACK IS APPRECIATED!!   YOUR FEEDBACK IS APPRECIATED!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 9:47 pm

I don't have a problem with it. I'm down for whatever!
Back to top Go down
Marissa
E-2
E-2
Marissa

First Name: : Marissa
Hero's Name : Mark
Branch : AD Army
Number of posts : 269
Anniversary : September 12th
Registration date : 2010-02-22

PostSubject: Re: YOUR FEEDBACK IS APPRECIATED!!   YOUR FEEDBACK IS APPRECIATED!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 22, 2010 9:54 am

I definitely miss the ease of a paid forum. I hate to be "stuck in the past" or whatever, but SG is the only Forum i ever belonged to besides SR. SOO... we got a little screen that popped up like every 3 months or so asking if we'd like to donate..... I'm a student and we live off of my husbands salary alone (i know alot of you do that.. but I have some ridiculous student loans.... like mortgage style...) I didn't feel I could spare a couple of bucks.... so i never donated (plus pay pal is a pain in the booty!)... I was a member for a year and a half-ish? I never felt pressured... and I never felt the admin/mods respected me any less. I think going to a paid forum would be great! I might even consider going to the dark side (the pay pal side) and making a few small donations... just because of the user friendly-ness!
Back to top Go down
Trisha L
Administrator
Administrator
Trisha L

First Name: : Trisha
Hero's Name : David
Branch : Army Aviation
Number of posts : 1831
Anniversary : October 2
Registration date : 2008-01-19

PostSubject: Re: YOUR FEEDBACK IS APPRECIATED!!   YOUR FEEDBACK IS APPRECIATED!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 22, 2010 10:11 am

Smidget23 wrote:
So in summary: The idea is to have a paid forum, but we're not required to donate anything. In exchange we won't receive any perks. There will be events for everyone to participate in and there will be events that require a fee to participate.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought part of why the SG and SR forums were merged was because SG merged with AWF which was a paid forum?

I think if we had the people necessary, then it would be a good idea, but right now, we don't have enough regular posters to warrant the extra costs. It's just going to end up costing members more money. We're having a hard enough time gathering people to participate in this swap and all it costs is the price of the gift and postage. If we add an additional fee, then I'm not really seeing participation going up.

The perks in switching to the paid forums would be User Friendliness. The fees to participate would be 1-2 times per year if that.

correction: SG and SR didn't merge. SG merged with AWF ,and because AWF is a GINOURMOUS site every minute you could have 6-8 pages of new posts, some SG girls felt more comfortable on a 'smaller' forum..

the reason to switch to a new forum is to be able to be attractive and user friendly enough to gain new members(which is why the idea of starting a recruiting contest) There will be no additional fees for swaps? The swaps are probably the pricey things on here, and they only benefit the other member participating. we wouldnt charge to participate in a swap?(sorry if you thought that)

Having Participation fee's for events, would be a MAJOR event, not something like swaps, or challenges(a weightloss challenge the way it would work would be different)
Hope that clears some things up.

again, it isn't required for any members to make ANY donations or contributions.

Last edited by Trisha L on Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/herohandbagsnmore
Smidget23
W-3
W-3
Smidget23

First Name: : .
Hero's Name : I hate men...unless they want to buy me something. Then I only dislike them.
Number of posts : 2497
Registration date : 2008-04-16

PostSubject: Re: YOUR FEEDBACK IS APPRECIATED!!   YOUR FEEDBACK IS APPRECIATED!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 22, 2010 10:14 am

Thanks for the clarifications!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: YOUR FEEDBACK IS APPRECIATED!!   YOUR FEEDBACK IS APPRECIATED!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 22, 2010 9:01 pm

I don't mind donating ^^ if it is for a better SR I am down with it!
I also agree that the donating part could be done anonymously, no perks offered will be fine with me ^^
I think that's why it is called donating, you don't show it to people...if we get something in return it's buying...that's just my logic though...^^
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: YOUR FEEDBACK IS APPRECIATED!!   YOUR FEEDBACK IS APPRECIATED!! - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

YOUR FEEDBACK IS APPRECIATED!!
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Silent Ranks :: New Members Welcome Kit :: Announcements-
Jump to: