The Silent Ranks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Silent Ranks

Forum for Military Girlfriends/Boyfriends, Fiancees, and Spouses

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Onion Rings

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Cappiea23
E-5
E-5

First Name: : Amy
Branch : USAF
Number of posts : 868
Registration date : 2010-02-22

Onion  Rings Empty
PostSubject: Onion Rings   Onion  Rings Icon_minitimeMon Jul 12, 2010 1:52 pm

We kind of used a Bobby Flay Recipe. I was a little low of flour so I use Hungry Jack pancake mix instead

2 sweet onions
1 C of buttermilk
4 C of hungry Jack mix separated 1C and 3C
2 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp paprika powder
salt & pepper
oil for fryer or skillet

Preheat oil if using fryer to 375. Peel off the papery layers off the onion and cut into 1/2 inch thick rings. 1 cup of hungry jack mix into bowl. Put buttermilk in another small bowl and liberally add black pepper and salt to bowl. Take a large ziplock bag gallon size works best, and add 3 cups of hungry jack mix, 2 teaspoons of cayenne pepper, and 2 teaspoon of paprika powder. Close bag and shake until mixed. Next take individual onion ring and lightly coat in the bowl of hungry jack mix. Then dredge through butter milk mixture and shake off excess milk and put in shaker bag. I put 6 or 7 at a time and then sealed bag and shake. Remove from bag and sit on plate that is ready to fry up. I like getting them all ready before frying up. Fry up in batches until golden brown. Place on plate with papertowel to catch the excess oil. I lightly sprinkle a little salt when they first come out.

If you don't have a fry daddy or some other type of fryer take a pan and add oil so there is like 3 inches deep and wait until it gets really hot and add onion rings in batches.

Some of the batter did come off on them so next time I think we might add a little corn starch and see if that helps a little bit.

Back to top Go down
Trisha L
Administrator
Administrator
Trisha L

First Name: : Trisha
Hero's Name : David
Branch : Army Aviation
Number of posts : 1831
Anniversary : October 2
Registration date : 2008-01-19

Onion  Rings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Onion Rings   Onion  Rings Icon_minitimeSat Jul 24, 2010 9:31 pm

yummo! dang girl I wish we lived closer so you could bring me a plate everytime you cooked! lol
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/herohandbagsnmore
Laura
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 1538
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Onion  Rings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Onion Rings   Onion  Rings Icon_minitimeSat Jul 24, 2010 10:54 pm

I've tried making onion rings a couple times but could never get the batter to stay on the rings.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Onion  Rings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Onion Rings   Onion  Rings Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Onion Rings
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Silent Ranks :: Daily Life! :: In the Kitchen-
Jump to: