The Silent Ranks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Silent Ranks

Forum for Military Girlfriends/Boyfriends, Fiancees, and Spouses

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Hair Products

Go down 
+7
LeighAnn0501
baybeegurl5469
Tenea'
scgrits488
armywife96
stahcimac721
kristen
11 posters
AuthorMessage
kristen
E-2
E-2
kristen

First Name: : Kristen
Hero's Name : Matt
Branch : Active Duty Air Force
Number of posts : 260
Anniversary : November 14, 2008
Registration date : 2010-07-07

Hair Products Empty
PostSubject: Hair Products   Hair Products Icon_minitimeSat Aug 07, 2010 3:32 pm

Does anyone have any certain brands you like best? Both my usual hairdresser (a friend from high school) and the girl I went to yesterday tell me that I need to be using salon products because the cheapo ones like Suave and stuff ruin your hair which I'm beginning to believe so I think I'm gonna invest in some good shampoo, conditioner and straightening stuff. I was told Redken and Aquage are both really good but was wondering if anyone had anything they liked that works well for them!
Back to top Go down
stahcimac721
E-1
E-1

First Name: : Staci
Hero's Name : Nick
Branch : AD Army
Number of posts : 86
Anniversary : May 24th, 2008
Registration date : 2010-05-24

Hair Products Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hair Products   Hair Products Icon_minitimeSat Aug 07, 2010 3:34 pm

I keep telling myself Im going to invest more money in better shampoos but when it comes time I always cheap out...i alternate between herbal essance and dove most of the time...I am curious to see what everyone else has to say about this though...
Back to top Go down
armywife96
E-5
E-5

First Name: : D
Number of posts : 806
Registration date : 2008-02-09

Hair Products Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hair Products   Hair Products Icon_minitimeSat Aug 07, 2010 3:58 pm

I use Biologe hydrating shampoo and their strengthening conditioner. If you catch them on a liter sale they aren't too bad. Like I get mine 2 1-liter bottles for $30 sometimes even $25 and they usually last about 3 months sometimes more. Then I like Redken's mousse, TIGI's Rootlifter and After Party, except here in Louisiana I have a hard time using the Rootlifter and After Party because it is so humid my hair is already so full from being frizzy and the after party makes my hair more oily then I like but I loved using it in Colorado. I can tell a huge difference between when I use the Biologe and when I go back to the cheap stuff.
Back to top Go down
scgrits488
E-2
E-2
scgrits488

First Name: : Katy
Number of posts : 246
Registration date : 2010-06-03

Hair Products Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hair Products   Hair Products Icon_minitimeSat Aug 07, 2010 5:02 pm

I think that is funny because my boss works in a high dollar hair salon and does my hair and she never told me that and she uses store bought shampoo too!! now im interested and going to have to ask emilee about this
Back to top Go down
kristen
E-2
E-2
kristen

Hair Products Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hair Products   Hair Products Icon_minitimeSat Aug 07, 2010 6:27 pm

Danielle- the girl that did my hair yesterday actually suggested Biolage, she said it's one of her favorite lines! I used to use Redken color safe shampoo and conditioner because I could usually find them sold together at Ulta or even in the salon in Wal Mart for under $30 and it was good but I used it for so long I needed to switch it up and the crap I switched to is no good haha.

Katy- you'll have to let us know what she says! At first I thought Anna was just crazy but she's the 3rd stylist that told me I need to use salon grade stuff because she said the other stuff coats your hair with some kind of wax haha. I just googled it and everyone says Pantene is the worst, weird.

I definitely need to invest in something that's really good for my hair because it's damaged beyond belief lol. I just got 2 and a half inches cut off and she said I really should have had a whole extra inch cut off but she didn't want me to freak out because I hate having short hair haha
Back to top Go down
armywife96
E-5
E-5

Hair Products Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hair Products   Hair Products Icon_minitimeSat Aug 07, 2010 7:18 pm

I had been told by several stylists back in HS and College that I should use it but it wasn't something I really did until I took a chemistry class in college and one of our projects was to take shampoos and run like 4 different chemical tests on them, including PH balances and when we had to do our presentations it was blatantly obvious that salon grade products were so much better for the hair. That is not to say that there weren't a few of grocery store brands that didn't hold up to some of the salon grade ones. Honestly it took trying a lot of different ones for me to find ones that I like because everyones hair is so different. Paul Mitchell actually had the highest "ratings" in the chemistry class but it makes my hair so limp I don't like using it. There is a brand called Cashmere and I really liked it but it was $35 for a tiny little bottle so there was no way I could keep using it. Keep in mind too if you move you may have to find a new shampoo, different climates effect your hair differently! But I must say I do love Biolage!
Back to top Go down
Tenea'
E-4
E-4
Tenea'

First Name: : Tenea'
Hero's Name : Jesse
Branch : Ret Army
Number of posts : 679
Anniversary : 12/23/05
Registration date : 2010-02-21

Hair Products Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hair Products   Hair Products Icon_minitimeSat Aug 07, 2010 8:20 pm

I use either Tresemme or Infusium 23. I wanted to switch brands but I just can't see spending that much or shampoo/conditioner!
Back to top Go down
armywife96
E-5
E-5

Hair Products Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hair Products   Hair Products Icon_minitimeSat Aug 07, 2010 8:28 pm

Tenea that is what I first thought too until I sat down and actually figured the cost and if you buy it at the liter sales where it is 2 for $30 and they last 3+ months that is $10/mo for both shampoo and conditioner, even "grocery store brands will usually run you $3.50-$4 for each so it isn't that much more a month. I honestly couldn't afford to buy it if it wasn't during the liter sales.
Back to top Go down
baybeegurl5469
E-3
E-3
baybeegurl5469

First Name: : Kris
Number of posts : 527
Registration date : 2008-06-11

Hair Products Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hair Products   Hair Products Icon_minitimeSat Aug 07, 2010 11:26 pm

I love "Bed Head" products they are awesome for styling.
Back to top Go down

Hair Products Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hair Products   Hair Products Icon_minitimeSun Aug 08, 2010 12:31 am

I love Aussie. It does the best for my hair. I cannot afford the other stuff. And even when I've tried it I've never seen any improvement over the Aussie that I use. I have so much hair though that there is no sense is spending twice or three times as much, that isn't gonna last me any longer, and didn't do anything for my hair. I've got better things to spend that money on.
Back to top Go down
LeighAnn0501
E-2
E-2
LeighAnn0501

First Name: : Leigh Ann
Number of posts : 393
Registration date : 2010-03-06

Hair Products Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hair Products   Hair Products Icon_minitimeSun Aug 08, 2010 7:33 am

I'm with Karen.....I love Aussie too, and Herbal Essences, and I've always been told my my stylist that I have really healthy hair....so I guess it just dpends on what kind of hair you have.....
Back to top Go down
Psykiblue
O-2
O-2

First Name: : Karla
Number of posts : 3888
Anniversary : June 24th 2006
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Hair Products Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hair Products   Hair Products Icon_minitimeSun Aug 08, 2010 11:16 am

Actually most shampoo and conditioners will ruin your hair, because its just like detergent store brand, name brand, salon brand no difference. If you want something that's going to help you, go all natural/organic like kiss your face products or jason products.

If you want to know about what i'm talking about http://www.natural-forces.com/essays/poofree.htm

its worth the read.
Back to top Go down
HeatherH
Moderators
Moderators
HeatherH

First Name: : Heather
Hero's Name : Bobby
Branch : Army
Number of posts : 659
Anniversary : June 27, 2007
Registration date : 2008-01-17

Hair Products Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hair Products   Hair Products Icon_minitimeSun Aug 08, 2010 1:32 pm

Most hair people will tell you that store bought brands aren't good for your hair, they'll tell you it coats your hair and things of that line. Will store bought brands make your hair unhealthy? Maybe. But everyone's hair is different and anyone's hair is going to react differently to different shampoos.

I currently use Dove, my stylist told me it will coat my hair much like Pantene. I don't notice a difference, but I also have used Kerastase, and I love the smell of it and it makes my hair really shiny and soft. My other stylist friend told me that Pureology is a great brand to try as well

If you're worried about cost of salon grade products, check out folica.com. I saved a lot of money on the Kerastase when I was able to buy it. My other stylist friend told me that Pureology is a great brand to try as well, and folica.com does have it on there.
Back to top Go down
Jennifer
E-4
E-4
Jennifer

First Name: : Jennifer
Branch : Army
Number of posts : 630
Registration date : 2010-02-23

Hair Products Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hair Products   Hair Products Icon_minitimeFri Aug 13, 2010 9:26 am

Psykiblue wrote:
Actually most shampoo and conditioners will ruin your hair, because its just like detergent store brand, name brand, salon brand no difference. If you want something that's going to help you, go all natural/organic like kiss your face products or jason products.

If you want to know about what i'm talking about http://www.natural-forces.com/essays/poofree.htm

its worth the read.

I LOVE Kiss your face products. Not sure if they have a 'Whole Body' store where you live, but it's Whole Foods supplement store. They have the natural shampoos, soaps, face products, make up etc. I'm currently on a kick where I go and buy a different product each trip- trying to find the ones I love best Smile
Back to top Go down
Molly120
E-3
E-3
Molly120

First Name: : Molly
Hero's Name : Justin
Branch : Marine Corps Reserve
Number of posts : 453
Anniversary : March 24
Registration date : 2010-04-21

Hair Products Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hair Products   Hair Products Icon_minitimeSat Aug 14, 2010 12:59 pm

I have to use cheap stuff, for now..... I love the Aveda products, but dont have the money right now.

Since I was spending so much time in the pool I turned to childrens shampoos. the ones that remove chlorine and stuff like that. It makes my hair look great! I was soooo surprised!!
Back to top Go down
kristen
E-2
E-2
kristen

Hair Products Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hair Products   Hair Products Icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 12:54 pm

I got this Matrix Essentials Solutionist stuff called "So Bright Shampoo & Conditioner For Color/Highlights" and so far I love it! I got them packaged together at Ulta on sale for $15 which isn't too bad for both. The bottles are only like 10 oz. but I figured I'll give it a try and see how I like it...so far it's great. It makes me hair super soft and it already feels a lot better. I found some web sites where you can order this stuff and other like Biolage and Redken stuff for a lot cheaper than stores so I think when I get low on this stuff I'll get some online to help save some money. I also got this stuff made by Aquage called "Beyond Body Thermal Styler" because I really liked it when they used it on me at the salon. The girl told me that if I'm straightening my hair every day or even a few times a week that I need some heat protection stuff so maybe that will start to help my hair from getting damaged again...we'll see! Laughing
Back to top Go down
scgrits488
E-2
E-2
scgrits488

First Name: : Katy
Number of posts : 246
Registration date : 2010-06-03

Hair Products Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hair Products   Hair Products Icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 1:25 pm

Kristen I asked Emilee about the shampoo and she says the reason she used store brand is because of the texture of her hair, but she does recommend to some of her clients to use the high dollar stuff depending on their hair. also if she gets samples of new professional brands she will try them out first before she will use them on a clients head.
Back to top Go down
kristen
E-2
E-2
kristen

Hair Products Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hair Products   Hair Products Icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 1:30 pm

scgrits488 wrote:
Kristen I asked Emilee about the shampoo and she says the reason she used store brand is because of the texture of her hair, but she does recommend to some of her clients to use the high dollar stuff depending on their hair. also if she gets samples of new professional brands she will try them out first before she will use them on a clients head.

That makes sense! I think because my hair is so thin and is really damaged is probably why I need to use the "good stuff" haha. Btw speaking of hair I love your new haircut Katy! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Hair Products Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hair Products   Hair Products Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hair Products
Page 1 of 1