The Silent Ranks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Silent Ranks

Forum for Military Girlfriends/Boyfriends, Fiancees, and Spouses

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Precancerous cells?

Go down 
+8
Sarah
Smidget23
Psykiblue
stepdan7
Kinsey
aheroslady
Amy
Whitney
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Whitney
Moderators
Moderators
Whitney

First Name: : Whitney
Hero's Name : Luke
Branch : Army National Guard
Number of posts : 1334
Anniversary : February 27
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Precancerous cells? Empty
PostSubject: Precancerous cells?   Precancerous cells? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 9:02 pm

They found precancerous cells on my sister's cervix.

It's making me a little nervous. I went to the doctor in February and they switched my birth control pill. They told me, since I had my downstairs deal checked out the year before, I didn't need it done. Well now I'm kind of nervous. Do you think its foolish of me to call and request that they please do an exam on me?

Its just been daunting for me...my sister found out she had PCOS, I found out I did 3 months later. These things always happen to her, than me. I just don't want to be that girl who SHOULD have gotten checked out and slipped through the cracks, ya know?
Back to top Go down
Amy
E-4
E-4
Amy

First Name: : Amy
Hero's Name : Michael
Branch : KS Army National Guard
Number of posts : 641
Anniversary : July 14th, 2006
Registration date : 2010-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Precancerous cells?   Precancerous cells? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 9:04 pm

I think you're better safe than sorry! I mean, I would definitely insist they do one b/c it's their JOB! They work for you, not the other way around!
Back to top Go down
aheroslady
E-2
E-2
aheroslady

First Name: : Rachel
Hero's Name : Chris
Number of posts : 396
Anniversary : August 7th, 2010

PostSubject: Re: Precancerous cells?   Precancerous cells? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 9:12 pm

I'd say better safe than sorry. But pre-cancerous cells aren't all that bad honestly. over 99% of all women have them at some point. The younger you are, the better your body fights them off. I have them, and have to get checked every so often, just to be safe. But deff better safe than soryr. You're peace of mind would be worth just getting checked.
Back to top Go down
Kinsey
E-3
E-3
Kinsey

First Name: : Kinsey
Number of posts : 569

PostSubject: Re: Precancerous cells?   Precancerous cells? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 9:20 pm

i have them too and i just get checked every year or sometimes less. i wouldn't worry about it too much. however even if i didn't have any i would to be checked every year so i say go ahead and make an appointment if you want!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Precancerous cells?   Precancerous cells? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 10:42 pm

I have them too. If you get yourself checked at least once a year you should be fine. There are tons of women that have them and it's not uncommon for them to go away on their own.
Back to top Go down
stepdan7
W-4
W-4
stepdan7

First Name: : Stephanie
Hero's Name : DJ
Branch : The better one
Number of posts : 2739
Anniversary : 27 Jan
Registration date : 2008-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Precancerous cells?   Precancerous cells? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 10:45 pm

I would ask your insurance if they would cover it, Given that your sister has them you might be able to get it done.
Back to top Go down
Kinsey
E-3
E-3
Kinsey

First Name: : Kinsey
Number of posts : 569

PostSubject: Re: Precancerous cells?   Precancerous cells? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 10:59 pm

ps. i have never heard of a doctor not wanting you to have a pelvic exam/pap every single year... that's weird to me.
Back to top Go down
Psykiblue
O-2
O-2

First Name: : Karla
Number of posts : 3888
Anniversary : June 24th 2006
Registration date : 2008-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Precancerous cells?   Precancerous cells? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 11:16 pm

You should have an exam every year and if you feel like you want one now its your right to demand one. I hope everything will work out ok with your sister.
Back to top Go down
Smidget23
W-3
W-3
Smidget23

First Name: : .
Hero's Name : I hate men...unless they want to buy me something. Then I only dislike them.
Number of posts : 2497
Registration date : 2008-04-16

PostSubject: Re: Precancerous cells?   Precancerous cells? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 05, 2010 2:03 am

I would get it done. Honestly, I wouldn't worry about the precancerous cells. They're really more common than you think. It's just that people hear cancer and freak out.
Back to top Go down
Sarah
Administrator
Administrator
Sarah

First Name: : Sarah
Hero's Name : Mike
Branch : Army
Number of posts : 3103
Registration date : 2008-01-16

PostSubject: Re: Precancerous cells?   Precancerous cells? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 05, 2010 6:27 pm

my sister had them too! YEARS ago! Hers were a little more severe and they had to laser them off or something like that. I was young.

I would get checked. Better safe than sorry! Smile
Back to top Go down
https://strong.forummotion.com
Jennifer
E-4
E-4
Jennifer

First Name: : Jennifer
Number of posts : 630
Registration date : 2010-02-23

PostSubject: Re: Precancerous cells?   Precancerous cells? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 05, 2010 10:34 pm

If you're worried, get checked. I've had them before too. I'm currently going in for exams every 4 months until I get 3 good visits in a row... just to keep an eye on things. But they are usually very treatable, just a sign to be cautious.
Back to top Go down
Whitney
Moderators
Moderators
Whitney

PostSubject: Re: Precancerous cells?   Precancerous cells? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 05, 2010 10:37 pm

I think since I tend to worry so much, I'm going to go just for peace of mind. It just kind of bugs me that at my last appointment they didn't even do an exam. I'm not really comfortable with that. I'm going to schedule something next week.
Back to top Go down
Heroswife
E-1
E-1
Heroswife

Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2010-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Precancerous cells?   Precancerous cells? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 06, 2010 12:19 am

Whitney wrote:
I think since I tend to worry so much, I'm going to go just for peace of mind. It just kind of bugs me that at my last appointment they didn't even do an exam. I'm not really comfortable with that. I'm going to schedule something next week.

I think that's a good idea. If you don't something tells me it would stay in the back of your mind constantly. Who wants to worry if they don't have to?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Precancerous cells?   Precancerous cells? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 06, 2010 12:38 am

Kinsey wrote:
ps. i have never heard of a doctor not wanting you to have a pelvic exam/pap every single year... that's weird to me.

actually new guidelines say it doesn't have to be done yearly.

Quote :
* Women should have their first screening Pap smear at age 21.
* Women in their 20's should have a Pap smear every two years.
* Women age 30 and older who have had 3 normal Pap smears in a row should have a Pap smear every three years.
* Women who have had a hysterectomy should no longer have Pap smears if the hysterectomy was for non-cancerous reasons and they don't have a history of severely abnormal Pap smears. If you have had a hysterectomy but still have your cervix, you will need to continue routine Pap smears.
* Pap smear screening can be stopped in women 65-70 years old and above who have had three or more normal Pap smears in a row.
* These guidelines should be followed whether you have or have not had the HPV vaccine.

Speak to your women's health provider about how often you should be seen in the office. There are many considerations such as age, sexual risks and your history that will help you to make a plan that takes care of your health needs.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/pap-smear-guidelines/MY01148
Back to top Go down
LeighAnnB0501
Recruit
LeighAnnB0501

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2010-03-04

PostSubject: Re: Precancerous cells?   Precancerous cells? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 06, 2010 7:09 pm

MMMM I dunno about that research....the dr. at our clinic that I work at isn't even a GYN still says once a year, starting at 18, 21 at the latest......
I go in once a year just to be safe b/c of family history.

Good luck Whit, I wouldn't worry too much, but I'd def get checked out anyway!! Love ya!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Precancerous cells?   Precancerous cells? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 06, 2010 7:27 pm

there is a lot of controversy about the new guidelines. I will continue getting one once a year, but it may be why Whitney's dr told her she didn't need one if she had it the year before.
Back to top Go down
Whitney
Moderators
Moderators
Whitney

PostSubject: Re: Precancerous cells?   Precancerous cells? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2010 3:09 pm

Yeah, the new guidelines are why I didn't have to have it.
Back to top Go down
Samantha
E-6
E-6
Samantha

First Name: : Samantha
Hero's Name : Josh
Number of posts : 1091
Anniversary : December 15, 2007
Registration date : 2010-02-20

PostSubject: Re: Precancerous cells?   Precancerous cells? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 11, 2010 10:40 pm

I think it's a good idea to go and get checked.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Precancerous cells?   Precancerous cells? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Precancerous cells?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Silent Ranks :: Beauty HHQ :: Heath and Fitness-
Jump to: