The Silent Ranks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Silent Ranks

Forum for Military Girlfriends/Boyfriends, Fiancees, and Spouses

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Baby stuff!

Go down 
+7
Annie
*Carrie*
Psykiblue
stahcimac721
Tenea'
Beth
Sarah
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Sarah
Administrator
Administrator
Sarah

First Name: : Sarah
Hero's Name : Mike
Branch : Army
Number of posts : 3103
Registration date : 2008-01-16

Baby stuff! Empty
PostSubject: Baby stuff!   Baby stuff! Icon_minitimeSat Jun 12, 2010 6:07 pm

We are starting to get baby stuff!

So far we have a bunch of clothes in boys ranging from newborn-9 months! A diaper bag, all the diaper bag necessities such as powder, rash cream, wipes, ect!

We are going to get a pack of diapers in each size, a few girls outfits in each size up to 3t and boys up to 3t! Some pull ups, a toddler potty.

We picked out our convertible crib and changing table today! Now we need to pick out bedding that is unisex and can work for an infant to toddler!

Where is the best stuff to get inexpensive baby items? The crib that we found is at toys-r-us and is surprisingly very inexpensive! We are going to buy it as soon as we paint the nursery (a baby green and yellow).

There is so much to do! We decided to go through a private foster company instead of the state and they told us that the longest wait we will have is to get our background checks, that even getting a placement takes VERY little time. We got our fingerprints done yesterday and will be sending them out next week! I will be hopefully finishing up the room and home renovations while Mike is gone to training for a month!
Back to top Go down
https://strong.forummotion.com
Beth
O-2
O-2
Beth

First Name: : Beth
Hero's Name : Dustin
Number of posts : 3496
Anniversary : 9-17-09
Registration date : 2010-02-21

Baby stuff! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baby stuff!   Baby stuff! Icon_minitimeSat Jun 12, 2010 6:22 pm

I am so excited for you!!!
Back to top Go down
Tenea'
E-4
E-4
Tenea'

First Name: : Tenea'
Hero's Name : Jesse
Branch : Ret Army
Number of posts : 679
Anniversary : 12/23/05
Registration date : 2010-02-21

Baby stuff! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baby stuff!   Baby stuff! Icon_minitimeSat Jun 12, 2010 6:31 pm

If it is a baby you will definitely need burp cloths & bibs. Maybe some toys and a toybox.
If it is a lil baby you will need a bath tub. You will also need all of the bath essentials, like towels & baby wash.

I bet you are super excited (and maybe nervous) that it is going to happen so soon!

I can't think of anything else right now but if I do I will come back.
Back to top Go down

Baby stuff! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baby stuff!   Baby stuff! Icon_minitimeSat Jun 12, 2010 6:35 pm

Definitely check out Once Upon a Child. But I wouldn't get a crib or bedding from there because it's typically pretty expensive. Toys, clothes, shoes and accessories are fairly inexpensive. Don't forget you're gonna need a carseat and stroller.

I would suggest going with Frogs for the bedding. That way if you get a girl you can add pink butterflies on the wall to 'girl' it up a little bit.

Also check out Kmart. We got out crib/changing table combo from there for a great price (at least my MIL did).
Back to top Go down
stahcimac721
E-1
E-1

First Name: : Staci
Hero's Name : Nick
Branch : AD Army
Number of posts : 86
Anniversary : May 24th, 2008
Registration date : 2010-05-24

Baby stuff! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baby stuff!   Baby stuff! Icon_minitimeSat Jun 12, 2010 8:11 pm

gosh, this is going so quickly Im so excited for you guys...I cant wait for yall to get your first kiddo!!!

Other than my excitment for yall---i got no advice lol!
Back to top Go down

Baby stuff! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baby stuff!   Baby stuff! Icon_minitimeSat Jun 12, 2010 8:42 pm

How much is it going to cost to go through a private foster company? I'm only asking because we might be going that route here in a few years because I'm all about adopting.
Back to top Go down
Psykiblue
O-2
O-2

First Name: : Karla
Number of posts : 3888
Anniversary : June 24th 2006
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Baby stuff! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baby stuff!   Baby stuff! Icon_minitimeSat Jun 12, 2010 8:52 pm

aren't all private companies licensed through the state?

good luck with it.
Back to top Go down
Sarah
Administrator
Administrator
Sarah

First Name: : Sarah
Hero's Name : Mike
Number of posts : 3103
Registration date : 2008-01-16

Baby stuff! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baby stuff!   Baby stuff! Icon_minitimeSat Jun 12, 2010 9:25 pm

The private company is nonprofit and they do not charge for anything other than the driving record and DMV check and you do that yourself. The private foster care company uses the same basic form as the state but they do it privately. The state requires 10 weeks of classes called PRIDE whereas the private one has the PRIDE "teacher" come into your home and it will not take the 10 weeks. They do it all that the state does but on a personal level. They also mainly place infants and toddlers that are new to state care when the DHHR (department of health and human resources) places the special needs and older children. The DHHR only has 1 foster care rep for our county and she only works 4 days a week so it has been impossible to get in contact with her. My sister has a friend that went through the same company that we are and was a foster parent and had an adoptable newborn all within 2 months.
Back to top Go down
https://strong.forummotion.com
*Carrie*
E-3
E-3

First Name: : Carrie
Hero's Name : Tim
Branch : Retired Army
Number of posts : 464
Anniversary : May 27 2008
Registration date : 2010-03-06

Baby stuff! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baby stuff!   Baby stuff! Icon_minitimeSat Jun 12, 2010 9:48 pm

That's great how quickly it's going for you guys! My mind is blank right now on essentials. If I think of anything I'll let you know though! You can try walmart to get some clothes and such cheaper than other places. I know diapers are cheap there, I cannot find them lower anywhere else, or even Sam's club for diapers.
Back to top Go down

Baby stuff! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baby stuff!   Baby stuff! Icon_minitimeSat Jun 12, 2010 9:50 pm

Sarah thank you for sharing this information. Jerry and I want to adopt a little girl a few years down the road.
Back to top Go down
Annie
E-1
E-1
Annie

First Name: : Andrea
Hero's Name : Sean Boy
Branch : National Guard SFG
Number of posts : 143
Anniversary : August 09, 2008
Registration date : 2010-05-01

Baby stuff! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baby stuff!   Baby stuff! Icon_minitimeSat Jun 12, 2010 11:54 pm

Yay I am so excited for you all! Just to let you all know, when you get your first child I believe that they will give you vouchers to go to walmart and get the necessary items that you need, (stroller, car seat, clothes, diapers) or at least that is what they did with April (my sister)

They called her one morning (and she hadnt been fostering for several months at this point) and asked her to take in a little boy that she used to watch (when he was a baby baby), and at that point she had already gotten rid of most of the baby items that she had in her house. And when she picked Aiden up that night, they gave her the vouchers. She had to run to Walmart late at night because the poor baby didn't even have any clothes on. It is so sad how some beautiful babies get treated.

You may want to ask after you get all your tests and paperwork through. I hope this helps
Back to top Go down
Psykiblue
O-2
O-2

First Name: : Karla
Number of posts : 3888
Anniversary : June 24th 2006
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Baby stuff! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baby stuff!   Baby stuff! Icon_minitimeSun Jun 13, 2010 6:46 pm

What's the name of the company Sarah? I have friends in WV actually they have been talking about fostering/adopting for awhile now.
Back to top Go down
jj'swifey
E-3
E-3
jj'swifey

First Name: : Darcy
Hero's Name : Jeremy
Branch : National Guard
Number of posts : 542
Anniversary : August 9, 2008
Registration date : 2010-02-22

Baby stuff! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baby stuff!   Baby stuff! Icon_minitimeSun Jun 13, 2010 11:46 pm

Once upon a child in Lexington is awsome! Ive bought so much of Rileys crap in there its unbelievable!! Im soo excited for you!!
Back to top Go down
usarmygal
Graduate
Graduate

First Name: : Monica
Hero's Name : Josh
Branch : AD Army
Number of posts : 42
Anniversary : October 31, 2004
Registration date : 2010-06-09

Baby stuff! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baby stuff!   Baby stuff! Icon_minitimeMon Jun 14, 2010 2:25 pm

oh, that's really cool that it's happening so fast! friends of my older sister are trying to foster with one of the private companies here in connecticut and they're still having to wait, it's crazy. they own their own home and both have GREAT jobs and they still keep having to go through all sorts of red tape.
Back to top Go down
Settles
E-1
E-1
Settles

First Name: : V.
Hero's Name : B.
Branch : USAF
Number of posts : 136
Anniversary : April 23
Registration date : 2010-06-10

Baby stuff! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baby stuff!   Baby stuff! Icon_minitimeMon Jun 14, 2010 7:42 pm

One of my friends has a little cushy seat for her baby so that it can sit in. I think it's called a Bumpo or something? Anyways, it's really cool and she loves it.
Back to top Go down

Baby stuff! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baby stuff!   Baby stuff! Icon_minitimeMon Jun 14, 2010 10:43 pm

Settles wrote:
One of my friends has a little cushy seat for her baby so that it can sit in. I think it's called a Bumpo or something? Anyways, it's really cool and she loves it.

YES! If you get a baby that is still learning to sit up you're gonna want one. There are two kinds, the Bumbo and the Bebe Pod. They're the same thing so either is good. They are really good to help them develop back and stomach muscles to help them sit up.
Back to top Go down
Molly120
E-3
E-3
Molly120

First Name: : Molly
Hero's Name : Justin
Branch : Marine Corps Reserve
Number of posts : 453
Anniversary : March 24
Registration date : 2010-04-21

Baby stuff! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baby stuff!   Baby stuff! Icon_minitimeWed Jun 16, 2010 8:24 pm

this is so exciting!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Baby stuff! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baby stuff!   Baby stuff! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Baby stuff!
Page 1 of 1