The Silent Ranks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Silent Ranks

Forum for Military Girlfriends/Boyfriends, Fiancees, and Spouses

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Sweet and Sour Lychee meatballs

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Cappiea23
E-5
E-5

First Name: : Amy
Branch : USAF
Number of posts : 868
Registration date : 2010-02-22

Sweet and Sour Lychee meatballs Empty
PostSubject: Sweet and Sour Lychee meatballs   Sweet and Sour Lychee meatballs Icon_minitimeFri Jun 25, 2010 3:44 pm

I will post the recipe at naptime...but here is what lunch looked like yesterday. I doubled up the sauce since the kids like sauce. It's not thick though but yummy all over rice.

Sweet and Sour Lychee meatballs 11mc0ah

Sweet and Sour Lychee meatballs Xbbiio
Back to top Go down
Addie
E-1
E-1
Addie

First Name: : Adaline
Branch : N/A
Number of posts : 199

PostSubject: Re: Sweet and Sour Lychee meatballs   Sweet and Sour Lychee meatballs Icon_minitimeFri Jun 25, 2010 7:32 pm

WOW looks yummy!!! Where do you get the Lychee??!! It's hard to find in small towns.. i was only able to find any near the Chicago area...
Back to top Go down
Cappiea23
E-5
E-5

PostSubject: Re: Sweet and Sour Lychee meatballs   Sweet and Sour Lychee meatballs Icon_minitimeFri Jun 25, 2010 9:35 pm

Those are canned ones. I bought them at the commissary but they can also be found at Asian Markets and some regular grocery stores too. I have found fresh ones here in Az, but they are like 6 or 7bucks a pound sometimes in the summer. When I lived in Hawaii one of the civilians in my unit would bring me fresh ones from his home. He was like my favorite person when I was pregnant over there. I heard you can grow the trees here in AZ which I am thinking about looking into how much care. Oh I need to post that recipe
Back to top Go down
Cappiea23
E-5
E-5

PostSubject: Re: Sweet and Sour Lychee meatballs   Sweet and Sour Lychee meatballs Icon_minitimeFri Jun 25, 2010 10:48 pm

This recipe is from The Steamy Kitchen Cookbook. I got this book on another site for SS type swap.

Ingredients:
1 can 14oz Lychee cut in 1/2 lengthwise
1 to2 Tbs of oil
1 red bell pepper cut into 1" pieces
1 green bell pepper cut into 1" pieces

Ingredients for Sweet & Sour sauce:
1/4 C juice from canned Lychee
1/4C white viengar
3 Tbsbrown sugar
2tsp grated fresh ginger
1/4C ketchup
1/4 salt

Ingredients for meatballs:
1 lb ground pork (I used beef since that is what was in fridge)
1 egg
1/4 tsp salt
1 Tbs flour

Bring all the ingredients in Sweet &sour sauce to a boil and let simmer on low heat for 5 minutes.

In a bowl combine ingredients to make meatballs. Mix well should be thick and sticky. If not add 1 tsp more of flour. Make meatballs about 1 -1/2 inches. Keep them uniform in size so they will cook evenly.
In large cooking pan add oil to a medium high heat. Fry meatballs for about 2 minutes browning all sides. Middles will not be done.
Add peppers, lychees and pour in the sweet and sour sauce. Cover with tight fitting lid. Let simmer over low heat for 4-5 minutes.(Until meatballs are cooked)

****If using ground turkey or chicken cut off about 1-2 minutes of simmer time so you don't over cook the meatballs.

Other variations that was suggested was pineapple, longan or rambutan.

I don't think I have tried longan.. I might have to look for that. I also doubled the sauce and added the extra at the end.
Back to top Go down
Beth
O-2
O-2
Beth

First Name: : Beth
Hero's Name : Dustin
Branch : Army
Number of posts : 3496
Anniversary : 9-17-09
Registration date : 2010-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Sweet and Sour Lychee meatballs   Sweet and Sour Lychee meatballs Icon_minitimeSat Jun 26, 2010 8:07 am

Looks so good!!
Back to top Go down
Trisha L
Administrator
Administrator
Trisha L

First Name: : Trisha
Hero's Name : David
Branch : Army Aviation
Number of posts : 1831
Anniversary : October 2
Registration date : 2008-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Sweet and Sour Lychee meatballs   Sweet and Sour Lychee meatballs Icon_minitimeSun Jun 27, 2010 10:54 am

where did u find Lychees??? i was looking fr these EVERYWHERE a couple years ago!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/herohandbagsnmore
Cappiea23
E-5
E-5

PostSubject: Re: Sweet and Sour Lychee meatballs   Sweet and Sour Lychee meatballs Icon_minitimeSun Jun 27, 2010 11:09 am

Commissary usually has them canned. Asian MArket you can find canned and sometimes fresh. Since you live in the south you might even be able to find them in TX at some grocery's stores. I found them at Fry's before. I know the grow in Hawaii, FL and a few other places in the states.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sweet and Sour Lychee meatballs   Sweet and Sour Lychee meatballs Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sweet and Sour Lychee meatballs
Page 1 of 1