The Silent Ranks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Silent Ranks

Forum for Military Girlfriends/Boyfriends, Fiancees, and Spouses

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

ADHD

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Addie
E-1
E-1
Addie

First Name: : Adaline
Branch : N/A
Number of posts : 199
Registration date : 2010-02-22

ADHD Empty
PostSubject: ADHD   ADHD Icon_minitimeFri Mar 05, 2010 12:44 pm

I never really considered myself having it, until I was watching a commercial on it. I have a hard time sitting still, getting tasks done, get distracted pretty easily, and i am always losing things. (just like what the commercial said) do you think that I have ADHD? I have always had these symptoms, but i dont' consider myself with a problem i guess. I don't want to be put on any kind of medicine, but i didn't know if any of you ladies suffer from it and if there are other alternatives to battling ADHD?
Back to top Go down

ADHD Empty
PostSubject: Re: ADHD   ADHD Icon_minitimeFri Mar 05, 2010 12:48 pm

IDK. It seems like you may have been dealing with it just fine. My son is 9 and had ADHD and can not function without his meds. He is all over the place jumping around, talking, angry, being loud. His eyes get a drunken look in them when he has not taken his meds. He seriously can not function without them. If it takes them too late he is disruptive in any activity including class until the meds kick in. Every night we deal with the meds wearing off and having to get him under control until bed time. If people are around like they are now forget about it the little chemical in his mind goes haywire.
Back to top Go down
stepdan7
W-4
W-4
stepdan7

First Name: : Stephanie
Hero's Name : DJ
Branch : The better one
Number of posts : 2739
Anniversary : 27 Jan
Registration date : 2008-01-18

ADHD Empty
PostSubject: Re: ADHD   ADHD Icon_minitimeFri Mar 05, 2010 12:52 pm

I dont believe in ADD/ADHD. I think its just something to get people who need to stay busy, to take meds. Have you tried challenging yourslf? As far as losing stuff, I think that qualifies everyone! Its called brain farts
Back to top Go down

ADHD Empty
PostSubject: Re: ADHD   ADHD Icon_minitimeFri Mar 05, 2010 12:54 pm

have you ever had to deal with ADHD/ADD to say you don't believe in it? We deal with it every single day of our lives and let me tell you it's real. There is a HUGE difference in needing to stay busy and not being able to control your actions because you mind doesn't allow you to.
Back to top Go down
Addie
E-1
E-1
Addie

First Name: : Adaline
Branch : N/A
Number of posts : 199
Registration date : 2010-02-22

ADHD Empty
PostSubject: Re: ADHD   ADHD Icon_minitimeFri Mar 05, 2010 12:59 pm

I read the symptoms and it matches mine.. trouble paying attention, constant distractions, constantly late to places, forgetting deadlines and appointments, clutter and unorganization.. but i dunno.. but it may just be because i am tired of school.. lol
Back to top Go down
Smidget23
W-3
W-3
Smidget23

First Name: : .
Hero's Name : I hate men...unless they want to buy me something. Then I only dislike them.
Number of posts : 2497
Registration date : 2008-04-16

ADHD Empty
PostSubject: Re: ADHD   ADHD Icon_minitimeFri Mar 05, 2010 12:59 pm

There are different levels of it and different people handle it better than others. You may have a milder case of it and have learned coping skills, but you also may not have it at all and can just identify with a commercial. They list rather vague symptoms and don't do a lot of the other ones. I know that I don't have ADHD, but all of those still apply to me too. Every single male in my family (including all of my random 2nd and 3rd cousins) have it, so I always joke around that I learned it from them. One of the random things the doc told me that ADHD people couldn't do was to tap their fingers to their thumb in a repeated fashion. They can't tap each one one, then twice, then three times. I always make fun of them for it. My brother actually can do it now, but it's because he's spent the past 13 years playing guitar, so he learned the control. If you really think that this is something that you have, and your life is strongly affected by this, then go get it checked out. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry. You're probably just normal like the rest of us.
Back to top Go down
stepdan7
W-4
W-4
stepdan7

First Name: : Stephanie
Hero's Name : DJ
Branch : The better one
Number of posts : 2739
Anniversary : 27 Jan
Registration date : 2008-01-18

ADHD Empty
PostSubject: Re: ADHD   ADHD Icon_minitimeFri Mar 05, 2010 1:06 pm

Yes every day. Maybe I just didnt express it right, I do think there are people out there who might need the meds to function every day. I also think there are many people who get put on meds, who dont need them but need to stay busy. I joke about Caiden being 1D short of ADD but guaranteed when I take him to school they will insist he has ADD becuz hes wild. He NEEDS to be challenged, stay busy, move. I just think that as a country we are so trigger happy to pass out meds and calm our kids down that they will give meds to anyone instead of trying to work with these kids.
Back to top Go down

ADHD Empty
PostSubject: Re: ADHD   ADHD Icon_minitimeFri Mar 05, 2010 1:13 pm

This isn't a debate so I'm not going to debate with you, but you put it out there like it doesn't exist at all. As a parent who deals with it and has her kid on meds the last thing I care to hear is that my son is on meds for my own selfish being. It was a long hard road deciding to put him on meds. He had test run, meeting with the school and therapy done before going on the pills. We don't enjoy giving him the pills daily but its the only way he can function. He can not be challenged or anything otherwise because he will not calm down long enough to be able to do anything. If you know your child is hyper and it's just his personality then fine that's your doing, but for my child he does have ADHD meds and it's in his best interest to be on the meds. So as parents that's what he does. Don't you think I sit here every single day and wonder what he's going to be like as an adult? Don't you think I wonder if he will need meds for the rest of his life or be able to function without them. I cringed when I heard that the guy that killed that poor girl this week was diagnosed ADHD as a child. We make excuses for him every day of his life because he is ADHD and I wonder if we are doing more harm then well. But when I hear someone say it's not a real disorder and they don't believe it in it then yes it gets under my skin. This it the last I will respond to this topic.
Back to top Go down
Psykiblue
O-2
O-2

First Name: : Karla
Number of posts : 3888
Anniversary : June 24th 2006
Registration date : 2008-06-03

ADHD Empty
PostSubject: Re: ADHD   ADHD Icon_minitimeFri Mar 05, 2010 2:27 pm

you can development alternative coping mechanisms to ADHD its not always about medication. If you have concerns though talk to your doctor they can test you and you can figure out the direction you want to move in from there.

In doing tasks that involve sitting getting a yoga ball or get a specific type of ball for kids with ADHD its weighted on the bottom, you sit in it but you can bounce/move without having to get up to move/bounce and it satisfies that need to move etc. You could use something like that at home.

I would be hesitant to take a commerical for a diagnosis though. See your doctor and perhaps you can figure out some things that will help you Smile
Back to top Go down
lovingmyhero11b
E-4
E-4
lovingmyhero11b

First Name: : Barbara
Hero's Name : William
Branch : AD Army
Number of posts : 633
Anniversary : January 7th
Registration date : 2010-02-26

ADHD Empty
PostSubject: Re: ADHD   ADHD Icon_minitimeFri Mar 05, 2010 3:00 pm

yea i was told i definitely have it, i have all of those symtoms, plus some, and they gave me a medicine but it did not help at all. It made me worse in a way, they told me the after affects would be tiredness which i had but they didnt say i would be in the hospital within a couple days of taking it. My body just did not like those pills i guess. I really dont remember what they were called though but now i am really hesitant on taking anymore medication for add/adhd cause of those last ones and what they did to me. I wish there was something i could take that would take those symtoms away because i hate forgetting things and all that but i guess i would rather forget then get put in the hospital again.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/lovinmyhero178

ADHD Empty
PostSubject: Re: ADHD   ADHD Icon_minitimeSat Mar 06, 2010 11:15 am

I honestly think that everyone has symptoms of ADD. I think it's human nature. I'm the one who has to keep my hands busy no matter what I am doing. When I am driving, I am running my fingers of my right hand across my shifter or changing radio stations. I push the up button on my windows up multiple times even though I know they are already up. It's just something I have to do. I have to keep busy. As for the forgetting things and losing things? ALLLLLLLLLLLL the time. Have I ever been told I was ADD? No. Do I care if I am? Not really because it's just a label/diagnosis.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

ADHD Empty
PostSubject: Re: ADHD   ADHD Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ADHD
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Silent Ranks :: Beauty HHQ :: Heath and Fitness-
Jump to: